Sunday 17 June 2012

Ad-ven-ture [ad-ven-cher], noun


  1. An exciting or very unusual experience

Hello again – It’s actually me writing this post – it’s been a while!

So, bringing the blog back to it’s original purpose, providing you lot with an idea about what it’s like to work in fundraising, this post is about some of the great opportunities that come with it.

Beyond often working long days, evenings and weekends, the job has some amazing perks, opportunities and adventures. I’d like to share some of the more recent ones I’ve had through photos and whatever else I can get my hands on!

I’ll start with today. Today was the final Heroes Run of the year for the Derbyshire,Leicestershire & Rutland Air Ambulance. It’s a Sunday, and I’m volunteering at the event at Locko Park, Derby.




I rocked up at 9am, an unusually late start for an event (expertly organized, I must say!), to be told I was on stage.

“Cool”

Most people would have been a bit flustered by this proposition, but as you can see I was more than happy with a mic squaring up to a man in a Martial Arts Gi:



Not feeling flustered, I got on with the day and enjoyed myself, albeit with a tough crowd!

I’m comfortable on stage, but this only stemmed from an opportunity I took years ago when I was PETRIFIED of public speaking. Ever since then I’ve been hooked and I’d take any opportunity to get on stage in front of anyone – including thousands at the Eurocultured Festival in Manchester!



But how is that adventure? Well how often are you presented with an opportunity to do that? People ran away from me today when I was wandering around with the mic! It’s also a great adrenaline rush.

Okay, so maybe that didn’t do it for you?

How about a skydive? Pretty common I know, but on 6th September I’ll be joining my lovely colleagues and some of our supporters on a skydive to raise money and awareness for The Children’s Air Ambulance – it’s always been something I wanted to do, and this is my opportunity.

I also get to meet and talk to celebrities and athletes, like at Thundersprint where we rallied the support of a number of top riders, including the lovely Chesca Miles and Steve Parrish.



Next week I’ll be traveling up to Oldham ready for the arrival of the Olympic Torch, and shortly afterwards I’ll be conquering Manchester in a game of Urban Espionage.

In August I’ll be at the Emergency Services Day with our Paramedics, showing off our kit and engaging with thousands of people.

Later on in the year I’ll be running a Golf event at The Mere Resort in Knutsford which should attract some big golf fans (Michael Owen is a keen golfer, anybody know him?!). Just a few weeks after I’ll be attending a great evening event, Business with Pleasure, where I’ll no doubt be enjoying the stories of Noddy Holder again.

So, if you ever want a rewarding, fun, challenging (and VERY busy) job, consider fundraising.

Get me an intro to this lady and I’ll be set.



Ciao for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment